- 08-14-2011, 06:35 PM #1
- Join Date
- Aug 2011
- Lahore, Pakistan
- Blog Entries
Pakistan Independence Day Attack Kills 3 Soldiers on 14th August 2011
Suspected Islamist militants fired rockets at a military camp in Pakistan's northwest on Sunday, killing three soldiers and wounding 23 others.
Officials said the soldiers had just finished raising the Pakistani flag for an Independence Day ceremony and were gathering for speeches when the rockets hit.
The base is in Miran Shah, in the North Waziristan tribal area, which has been a sanctuary for Taliban and al-Qaeda militants.
At least 16 soldiers were wounded in the attack.
In the capital, Islamabad, Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani attended a flag-raising ceremony to mark the country's 65th Independence day.
During the ceremony, Gilani expressed hopes for improved relations with Pakistan's neighbours.
"Our whole hearted wish is for a peaceful and stable Afghanistan. We want to see Afghanistan prosperous, stable and free," Gilani said.
"India is our important friend. We wish that both countries resolve their issues through dialogue, so that both countries are liberated from the curse of poverty, illiteracy and backwardness," he said.
India and Pakistan gained independence when the departing British split the subcontinent in 1947, sparking one of the most violent upheavals of the 20th century and creating a rivalry that has led to three wars.
With files from The Associated Press
Pakistan Independence Day attack kills 3 soldiers - World - CBC News
- 08-14-2011 06:35 PM # ADSCircuit advertisement
- Join Date
- Advertising world
- By Sadaf Khan in forum World NewsReplies: 0Last Post: 06-29-2012, 06:50 AM
- By Sadaf Khan in forum World NewsReplies: 0Last Post: 06-29-2012, 06:40 AM
- By Sadaf Khan in forum World NewsReplies: 0Last Post: 06-25-2012, 01:12 PM
- By Sadaf Khan in forum World NewsReplies: 0Last Post: 06-25-2012, 07:50 AM
- By Sadaf Khan in forum World NewsReplies: 0Last Post: 05-04-2012, 07:40 AM
Visitors found this page by searching for:
Nobody landed on this page from a search engine, yet!SEO Blog